Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Have You Ever...

Seen a sign like this:
I am sure you have. Any one who drives has seen this one time or another. Maybe for a driver's test, maybe on the street, or maybe you have just stumbled across a picture of one on the internet. I am sure the sign varies from state to state, but they all have the same meaning - No Trucks Allowed.

Would I have ever, in a million years, thought that my 4 year old son would know what this means? Nope. It is just a simple drawing. One that he would be able to understand, but I just never would have thought it would catch his eye and he would "get it".

One day last week - I believe it was the same day he was trying to cool his juice, we were on the way home. I was stopped in the middle of a street waiting for on coming traffic so that I could make a left turn. All of a sudden, he asked, "Mommy, why can't trucks go that way?" At first, my thoughts were, "which way?" and "what are you talking about?" I just non-chalantly answered him and said, "I am not sure Buddy". Then, I made the turn and saw the sign. Yep...

"I saw the sign and it opened up my eyes, I saw the sign."
Remember that silly Ace of Base song?

Everything made since then. I had my "ah-ha" moment. Then, I took the time to explain that maybe the power lines were too low on that street for the trucks to come through - and maybe that is why the sign was posted there. He proceeded to talk about something breaking on the truck if they went down that road and I agreed with him and then he was content with moving on to the next topic of conversation.

What an inquisitive mind.

Oh, and good luck with getting that song out of your head if you are familiar with it. I have been humming it since I thought of it to put in this post...

1 comment:

  1. Keep on writing these things down. You will cherish them one day. I promise!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your love!